Open Energy Data Hackdays
On April 8 & 9, 2016 the Open Energy Data Hackdays took place in Grimseltor/Innertkirchen and Vert-Bois/Mont-Crosin, two fantastic destinations in Switzerland at the sources of sustainable energy. Organized by Opendata.ch and IDS Datenwelten, with support from Energie Schweiz, Kraftwerke Oberhasli and opendata.swiss.
The hackdays brought together over 60 developers and designers, data scientists and app producers, experts and amateurs, entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs, concerned citizens and data journalists. We crossed professional boundaries and collaborated as individuals and concerned citizens addressing urgent energy problems and creating critical insights with open data.
- Atum - web application for energy production forecasts for photovoltaics
- Swiss Energy Dashboard - dashboard to explore national energy monitoring projects visually
- Energiestrategie 2050 verstehen - Entdecke eine Schweiz mit 100% erneuerbaren Energien
- Hot or not for solar - Energy customer profiling made easy
- Klumpenrisiko - a visualization of power company ownership
- Lófos - for more freedom of personal e-mobility through open data
- open-power-system-timeseries - aggregation of electricity
- Swiss Energy Balance - visualisation of energy consumption and production per canton
Ordered alphabetically by page name. Projects are not judged/ranked at MAKE.opendata.ch events. For more on this topic, see energy tag.
How to get involved
Ask yourself, can we use data to …
- make electric mobility simpler, better, and more frictionless?
- better heat, cool and manage our homes and workplaces?
- communicate and understand our energy system, from the production to the distribution and to our very own consumption?
- use energy in continually innovative and smarter ways?
Join the Working Group
For discussions and events on these topics, we welcome you to join the Open Energy Data Working Group of Opendata.ch. Subscribe to the mailing list here to stay informed: http://energy.opendata.ch/join-us/
Come to experience the Hackdays!
If you said yes to any of the above, join us for two days of fun, ambitious projects and innovative talks. It is great if you are a programmer or working in media or involved in politics, and you are ready to help with your skills, and we are also looking for non-technical people across all domains who are interested in the broader topic of energy and energy data.
Let's collect open energy data
Are you aware of interesting data and topics for the Energy Hackdays? In preparation for the hackdays we are putting together a list of open energy datasets. We encourage you to contribute to it or send us your suggestions - from URLs we missed to 'dream' data.
Start your projects!
If you've new to hackathons - no problem! Never programmed in your life? This is a great way to start! At the event, we will form teams and choose topics and roles amongst ourselves. We have prepared Useful Guidelines and a Quickstart Guide to get you going. Our community champions will be on site to make sure things go smoothly and productively.
Release early, release often!
You can use this wiki, GitHub, Etherpad, or any tool you want to work on your concept and document your results as a team. Posting your early ideas can be a great way of getting quick feedback and validation! Make sure that you let an organiser know where to find your project by Saturday afternoon at the latest. All hackday projects documentation will be linked here after.
At the end of the hackdays, we look forward to seeing your insightful and provocative projects that demonstrate potential and create energizing use cases for open data!
You can contact the organization team for both Innertkirchen and Mont-Crosin at email@example.com
This Open Energy Data Hackday is a co-initiative of the IDS Datenwelten at the University of Applied Sciences Lucerne and the Energy Working Group of Opendata.ch. Energie Schweiz, Kraftwerke Oberhasli and opendata.swiss are supporting the Hackdays as partners.